choose your weapon...

Movies (4) Photos. (47) Poetry (16) Quotations. (76) Words (15) Writings. (137)

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A French Mistake

In an effort to inspire, shock or amaze you – I’ve decided to write here more frequently. My mind feels swirly and crowded – but lately whenever I try to express a thought or idea, I get distracted easily or lose track of what I was trying to say in the first place.

Writing in circles is no fun, so I’m cheating. A quick glance at a shitty quote of the day page gives me this tantalizing little tidbit.

“The world only goes round by misunderstanding.” Charles Baudelaire (1821 - 1867)

Living among the murderers, racists, terrorists and tyrants that surround us all, it’s hard for me to disagree with Mr. Baudelaire …

… that is until I re-read the quote a few times, smoked a roach and re-read it a few more times. It’s the use of the word “only” that flaws my previous agreement. Anyone can turn to their FOX infested idiot-box to see all their fears played out in full color. Anarchy encircles the system and corruption happens at every level. Money rules our existence. It’s a society structure I often imagine is doomed to fail one day.

In fact…. I HOPE fails one day.

Because… sure, misunderstanding makes our world go round, but so does understanding.

Am I giving us too much credit to think that we could change? Are there enough people out there like me who look around and realize… it doesn’t have to be like this? No-one has to torture, or rape or starve.

What kind of world is it when the people are brought up to feel indifference as though it’s expected?

Oh thank you pretty news reporter with the glow-bleached teeth and botox vacancy. Thanks for letting me know about the slaughter happening overseas… now don’t mind me as I flip to TMZ and laugh at celebrities without giving it a second thought.

I don’t watch the news. Ever. Some people say that makes me uninformed and ignorant. I tell them to go fuck themselves. Anyone can sit and stare at a television and then pretend to know what they’re talking about. It takes something different, something more real – to listen to stories, to learn and to just talk to people. You understand much more about the world. True knowledge – not facts flopped off some red lipstick. (I have an irrational annoyance with newscasters – as you might notice).

Life is chaotic, unexpected and sometimes even a little irrelevant – but it has a million silver linings. A million reasons to get up every morning, and a million reasons to disagree with a French man Ive never heard of and rearrange his quote to make one of my own.

“Perhaps misunderstanding makes the world, but understanding makes it go round.”

SIDE NOTE: The interwebs tell me that Charles was one of the greatest French poets of the 19th century, called 'the father of modern criticism,' who shocked his contemporaries with his visions of lust and decay.
So even though he’s wrong, I bet he was a pretty cool guy.

0 comments:

if you happen to be a billionaire...