choose your weapon...

Movies (4) Photos. (47) Poetry (16) Quotations. (76) Words (15) Writings. (137)

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

character test.

Imagine you find yourself at a late night ATM, skateboard in hand, waiting for a friend to withdraw money to buy the next half ounce so you and the four people outside can have weed to smoke when you all take mushrooms the next morning. No-one else is around except your little gang and you’re only inside to try and warm up for a minute, but while he’s on one machine you glance at the other. The screen is blinking. WOULD YOU LIKE ANOTHER TRANSACTION? You don't say anything and click YES before you even know what you’re doing. It’s not illegal to push a few buttons right? So naturally, because you’re a badass, you check the AVAILABLE FOR WITHDRAW and boom. The screen lights up along with your eyes.

1500.00$

Holy shit. Holy shit! This kind of thing just doesn’t happen.

What do you do?
(I’ll tell you what I did AFTER you answer me)



UPDATED*

I looked over at my friends outside, looked at the screen again and withdrew 60 dollars, so if added to the 20dollars I already had, we could buy a whole ounce instead of a quarter ounce. I figured I was only repaying the karma for whoever was stupid enough to leave their card in the machine and decided if they had 1500 dollars available for withdraw at any time, they might just be thankful enough I didn’t take more and never notify anyone. I also took the card out and placed it beside the machine, so no one else could come along with the same questionable moral conscious. I never told anyone what happened, and instead proclaimed I had withdrawn the money from my own account and still to this day, nothing ever came of it. Maybe it was the wrong thing to do and the consequences are still waiting to seek me out and destroy - but I can’t change what I did and at the time I believed it was justified, so I don’t regret it, but I wouldn’t do it again.

12 comments:

achigurh said...

i would then realize that i had just been photographed..so i would leave and have one of my stooges go in and get the money so it would be his ass if he got caught! then we would all go down to the local titty bar for some laughs:P

nah...i would have pressed.."NO". i believe Karma can come back and bite ya in the ass...

LupineLooPine said...

Well, I wouldn't withdraw the amount, but I'm guessing as a twist, you did. Reason: You mention that we have to assume that we're badasses, and since this is about something you did, this was most probably when you were in your badass phase... and what's a badass to do BUT take the dough? Second, why would you check to see the amount just for shits and giggles? Makes no sense for a smart badass. Getting so far and not doing anything makes little sense for an opportunistic badass. And lastly, the justification is most telling I think. It TECHNICALLY isn't wrong to push a button, and technically it isn't wrong to take the money, since the card was legitimately there and so all you were doing really... was pushing some buttons. lol.
Can't wait to hear this avaricious tale.

Michael said...

I don't think I would take it, but as I've never actually been in a situation like this, I can't say that for sure. I tend to feel extremely guilty over very minor things, so I think doing something like this would really tear me apart.

There have been a few occasions when I've been undercharged in a store, and I actually corrected them. I know a lot of people would consider that ridiculously goody-goody.

Am I still allowed to enjoy your blogs if I don't measure up to your minimum badass standards?

tennisdude818 said...

I don't take the money. I wouldn't call myself a badass when it comes to things like this.

jon said...

It's like finding someone's wallet with ID, etc. and %1500. Would you take the money? a portion of the money? $20 and then leave it? Or would you try to contact the person and tell him you found his wallet (with money intact)?

jon said...

Now it $1500 were just blowing in the wind down the street, that's another story... especially if you didn't see anyone else around chasing after it. ;-)

LupineLooPine said...

60 dollars? I'm disappointed. I was expecting a more hefty withdrawal followed by an ice cream binge like no other... perhaps topped with some weed. Then of course, a trip to whatever male strip club you have in Canadia (maybe go for the chocolate chip at Chippendales, presently known as the "O" BAM - AH!). I don't know what you'd be interested in after that.. but I guess you could buy some books and some more weed and shrooms.
I was expecting more woman!

*sobs*

The Science Pundit said...

Assuming that you can withdraw up to the full amount (most ATM's have a maximum withdrawl amount) and that there's no working security camera (ATM's these days all have security cameras), I would be highly tempted, but I don't think that I could take any money and be able to look at myself in the mirror.

King of Ska said...

Haha, is everyone serious about not taking the money? I would do the same, take a small amount for whatever we are buying at the moment. That's because, if it were my card in there, that's what I would want to happen. Can't take the big bucks because we don't no anything about the cardholder. Maybe they're poor and trying to save up for something, who knows. But to take nothing would probably end in me subconsciously hoping for some kind of reward from Karma, God, Fate or whatever you want to call it - and face it, it's not gonna happen. I'll just be disappointed or even become bitter, because that's what happens if you expect life to be fair. So you're decision is the best, only I would've told the others about it. No use in pretending to be a good guy and buying the booze (I don't even drink). I like your stuff, your videos are very inspiring!

Anonymous said...

Stealing is stealing. Whether its $60 or $1500. Its not badass to do something like this; its just bad and stupid considering there's usually cameras at ATMs. I won't assume to know you, but I'm pretty disappointed in that tale. Telling anonymous people on the internet won't fix your guilty conscience; finding the owner of the card might.

Heather Maria said...

I was 16 - and stupid, and I live 8000 miles away from where I found that card so I'm not trying to fix a guilty conscience or excuse what I did, I'm just telling a true story.

tennisdude818 said...

Oh this was from a long time ago? That's good, so you won't get in trouble from a camera. Maybe I misread something but I was under the impression that this was a recent event. After all you do seem too smart to go and so something like that right in front of a camera.

if you happen to be a billionaire...