choose your weapon...

Movies (4) Photos. (47) Poetry (16) Quotations. (76) Words (15) Writings. (137)

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

agnostic reasoning

I’ve read a few articles recently spouting off bullshit reasons to believe in God which have all had the opposite desired affect and this particular one REALLY bothered me. “Our planet Earth is so perfect, God MUST have created it for us.” Wow. I have grossly misinterpreted my Earth Studies classes, and my Dad must be a fake geologist… for we were both under the impression that this planet had been around for billions of years before we humans ever showed up. Weren’t there even these giant lizard things that roamed around for a while? Seriously!? The ability to twist logic to suit a specific purpose is a talent the religion pushers of the world have mastered to the highest degree. Earth was not made for us… we were made for Earth. Not by God, but by pure necessity. Our planet doesn’t have oxygen because we need it to live…we breathe oxygen because our planet had a bunch of it before we got here.

7 comments:

noel said...

hey there....funny how you called your blog the rain today cos it pisses rain here about 200+ days a year..im in galway,west coast of ireland..goodnight

Michael said...

The planet Earth is perfect? Then what planet have I been living on?

Argument from design has never been very convincing, at least not for those who weren't already convinced before hearing the argument. Nothing in the Universe that I'm aware of seems perfectly designed. Life in particular is so obviously improvised, the way you'd expect it to be with random mutations and natural selection.

Ibrahim said...

HA!

Will NOT get roped in! You see, I have this insane ability to make everything about me. :)

tennisdude818 said...

While I believe in God, I rarely ever hear anybody use the argument that I use. Sure the Big Bang happened, but where did that rock come from? Where did it get the energy to explode? Besides, it's not like we know that the Big Bang began existence, just the known universe. Of course just because nobody can answer the questions that I asked, that doesn't automatically make God the answer. But for various personal reasons I still believe that God is the answer to those questions.

I was just trying to give a somewhat intelligent argument for the existence of God, or at least an argument that doesn't throw science out the window.

zpconn said...

Interestingly, a lot of the oxygen we breathe is the result of oxygenic photosynthesis used by other organisms.

You may enjoy the first few pages of "God is Not Great" by Christopher Hitchens. (You can see the relevant pages on Amazon's preview.)

Finally, I should point out that there are no exploding rocks postulated by the Big Bang theory. :-)

JJ said...

Check out Robert Anton Wilson:

http://whyareyoufatandblue.blogspot.com/2009/08/i-dont-believe-anything-but-i-have-many.html

Lynn said...

Amen to that. ahahaha... you see what i did there? :P

if you happen to be a billionaire...