choose your weapon...

Movies (4) Photos. (47) Poetry (16) Quotations. (76) Words (15) Writings. (137)

Monday, August 3, 2009

(COSART) 3 = fear of GOD

‘Tis a distorted concept in my agnostized mind, this distress over a supreme being I’m not quite sure exists at all. It is written in Proverbs 1: 7 that “the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,” and I feel like I am being torn through two sides of the same fence. I am arguing with myself, half trying to justify that perhaps, fearing God is not the same as being afraid of God. Perhaps a bit of apprehension is necessary to show deep respect and create a humbling reverence for His majestic authority. Almost similar to the fear you have of your boss, although on a much smaller scale, for your boss only signs your paycheck, while Jesus is not only responsible for every great and glorious thing in this world, He’s also the one true judge of sin and it is He who creates, destroys, rewards and punishes those as He deems fit. No one deserves that much power, but if He has acquired it nonetheless, then hell yeah I’m fearful. Compared to God, I am an unclean, morally questionable, cloaked in sin, anarchist disaster, and if it is He who will stand and deliver judgment on me at the end of the day, I have every reason to believe I would be cast away in shame and disgust, and so, begins my journey to the other half of the fence, the slightly taller side in this case, which is telling me I try too hard to satisfy the reasoning behind twisted notions like this one. Proverbs 22:4 writes “the reward of humility and the fear of the Lord are riches, honor and life.” There are so many things wrong with that sentence, not the least of which has riches listed first on the reward scale for humility. Does this mean that the lower my self confidence, the more apprehensive and sobering my thoughts become when centered on God, the more money I will make? It is not honorable to be weak, or submissive… and life cannot be used as a prize for obedience to Christian values. My life is mine, and even if it is He who gave it to me, it does not remain the property of God to withhold if He believes I do not fear Him quite enough. Proverbs 10:27 says “the fear of the Lord prolongs life.” Now there’s a sell point if I ever saw one. Fear me, fear my wrath, fear my judgement, be spineless, be manipulated, be meek and humble… and I shall bless you with longer life! Poof, you just got ten more years! I’m sorry Tripp, but from this side of the fence, that sounds like total bullshit. If he has the power to lengthen life expectancy, then we can infer that he also has the power to look down at others and say… you, oh confident one, shall DIE tomorrow for not trembling in church every Sunday. God is a contradiction within a paradox. In my imagination, He’s sitting there on a morally pure pedestal, turning his nose up at the lesser creatures He created yelling…
“I love you… Now fear me! I am everything and you are nothing!” If He made us, then He knows our limitations, He knows our strengths and our weaknesses, and He consciously instilled us with the ability to disbelieve in Him, yet when we do, He says we are unworthy, He says we are wrong, we are sinful, we are evil and ungodly, we deserve to be punished, we will not be granted access to the realms of heaven. It seems like every Christian success is so easily transferred over as a success of God, but every failure, every person tortured or murdered or sacrificed in the name of the Lord, is simply human error. How unbelievably convenient. I am getting off track, and more frustrated with every word. So much in fact, that I have no way to balance the bias of this entry, and no way to close with a cohesive argument, so instead, Ill just say… God, if you’re listening… you created humans in your image, yet you are fully pure, while we are imperfect, we are flawed, we are capable of both great and horrible things – but you cannot pick and choose which ones you take responsibility for. If you are to be the almighty power in the world, then it must be the entire world, in all its horror and glory. You must accept that there will be those who do not fear you, and will never fear you, for reasons of their own, but it does not make them less important or less knowledgeable then those that do. I am an imperfect person, and if you are not, then you must already understand that I cannot be anyone else then who I am, I can not believe in you simply because others tell me it is right. I cannot bow my head and kiss your feet because it is written in an ancient story book that I should do so. I cannot fear that which I do not understand.

4 comments:

Michael said...

I never understood why God would want people to fear him. He must really be screwed up to be so concerned with being a badass. 'Yeah, I'm a BAD Mother-Fucker! Don't mess with me, man!' This is the sort of macho posturing you expect from thugs and bullies, not supposedly perfects deities.
Do you think maybe he's just all hung up over his sexuality? (That might explain his rabid misogyny.)

How did Theophobia ever get to be a virtue anyway?
(Does that word exist? If it's brand new, I want credit for it. Tell the OED.)

LupineLooPine said...

"I have no way to balance the bias of this entry" .. that's because that is impossible for anyone who's remotely logical to do. Again, I'm falling in love with Tripp and definitely mean no offense to him, but the Bible is something that has no basis when one considers it literally and with sufficient logic. Whatever coherence is seen, to me, has always been far too invented and contrived, involving carefully choreographed overlooking and convenient ignorance of points. From the basis of science alone, I can quite simply state that it is highly improbable for an intelligent, sentient God to exist, who looks and interferes with our lives in hidden ways. I already explained why this is so under the philosophy group in YT in case you want to see it miss P, a while back actually, and I won't bother going into it here again. But there's more. History adds another twist with the parallels between Christianity and older religions, and this too is highly suggestive of plagiarized nonsense going back to ancient Egypt, as any nut or non-nut who has seen Zeitgeist knows by now.
Anyway, I personally don't even no where to begin in a debate on what it means to fear God, hence the nature of my post till now. It's utter baselessness is like a sore dick sticking out of a smoking hot cherry pie... you just can't shake your thighs off of phlegm. <-- that sentence makes more sense than some parts of the Bible.

The Bible could be a metaphor and it could convey a lot of things like other arts, but let's stop with the whole taking it literally thing. Let's not even try to consider it's capacity to convey truth at par with something like science for instance. If the Bible were a set of instructions for a computer to follow, you'd end up with an OS a little better than Windows Vista. Conversely, if Windows Vista was converted to a book, it would be pictures of dogs humping midgets interspersed with verses from the Bible and the Quran, with the cover having a picture Mohammad staring blankly at the setting Sun, with a foot of an upside down dangling Jesus in his mouth (who has his crack exposed of course, on account of his garb being subjected to gravity).
Oh, did I cross the line there? If I was important, I would Sooooooo get a Fatwa for that one.

Tripp Hudgins said...

Here: http://bible.oremus.org/?ql=116374822

So, how do you read the Bible, Heather? What are you looking for and what are your assumptions about the book?

Tripp Hudgins said...

Okay...I just posted a video response. Um. Yeah. It's still processing, so give it a moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulS_as54czs

if you happen to be a billionaire...