choose your weapon...

Movies (4) Photos. (47) Poetry (16) Quotations. (76) Words (15) Writings. (137)

Monday, August 10, 2009

draw. an alien.

I had an awesome teacher my last year of highschool. He was that older man type of sexy eternal bachelor, had a crazy beard, rode a Harley in the summer, picked on kids in his own non-offensive way, would completely switch gears halfway through a lecture based on a question or comment from a student and was continually testing us with these random little psychological experiments. He handed out blank pieces of paper one day and said, “Draw a picture of an imaginary alien. I’m grading you on it. There are no requirements except the one I already told you. Draw. An alien. You have ten minutes.” Then he sat down at his desk and pulled out a Sudoku book. My best friend Lauren was in the class with me and we used this convenient time to chat as she was scribbling some lion-like creature with a red pen. I completely forgot about the assignment and when the teacher got up and started collecting the papers off desks (whether the student was done or not) I panicked a little. Shit. It’s been ten minutes already? I got one full circle penciled in before he ripped it out from under me. He brought them all to the front of class, shuffled through each one and called out names followed by “Ten out of ten.” Every name got a ten and I completely relaxed for a minute. Thank god it was just another one of those stupid assignments. Then… suddenly he called out, “Nick… what the hell is this?” He turned the paper around to us. It was blank except the tiny name scribbled in the corner and Nick, who sat beside me, replied, “My aliens invisible,” with a cocky smile. I have a feeling he was trying to impress someone and it could have been Lindsay, who sat on the other side of him, or maybe just the teacher… but it certainly didn’t work. “Oh… I’m sorry Nick, maybe you didn’t understand the requirements. I said DRAW and alien. So I’m going to ask you one more time. What. The hell. Is this?” The class was silent. Nick looked like he might just throw up… and Lindsay, along with the teacher and the entire class was staring at him. I gave a small sigh of relief, thinking how great it was that at least I drew SOMETHING, glanced from the blank paper back to Nick… and brilliance struck me. I leaned over and whispered to Nick for a minute, who looked back at the teacher with a smile... much less cocky this time and said,“It’s an alien that looks like the letters N-I-C-K.” The teacher smiled at us both and said, “Ten out of ten.” Lindsay smiled at Nick, Nick smiled back and we all lived happily ever after.

3 comments:

obsquatch said...

I giggled out loud. Giggling out loud is an action which is unabbreviatable. That being said, facing unnerving contemplative knowledge enduring desire, kinda exactly describes how I feel. Cheers, lady.

luis said...

cute story

I feel like an alien...I have this tune in my head I just cant get out
anyway be well Chica

Kat said...

Haha... this, really made me smile. :)

You know, thinking back.. I'm sure we all have funny little stories of how we all royally fucked up in school and somehow got away with it by the skin of our teeth. =p

I'm going to have a think...

if you happen to be a billionaire...