choose your weapon...

Movies (4) Photos. (47) Poetry (16) Quotations. (76) Words (15) Writings. (137)

Thursday, December 31, 2009

HEAR ME.

In my pursuit of meaningful writing, one thing remains clear. I need to choose my words as others would choose how they solve algebra. With precision, with caution, and with the hands of an artisan. I need to melt words into one another. I need to stop, tilt my head, and listen to the echo of each sentence. I need to notice the paragraphs of emotional resonance or even, the perfectly tuned reverberations that come from freedom and pain and love and fear. Sound waves written down and answered by the influence of those who listen. Words are not just seen, they are not just letters sitting vacant, they are products of the individuals inner magic, buried until we create them with the intent to be heard.

3 comments:

Michael said...

The difference between the right word and almost the right word is the difference between the lightning and the lightning bug.
-- Mark Twain


I'm often amazed by how brilliantly you write. Your words tend to flow effortlessly (from the reader's perspective-- I know there may be much effort on your part), always fitting the music of the sentences. And the words always seem right. Nothing feels like it's forced in unnaturally. You have no lightning bugs.

chaser said...

Indeed...this recalls an early exercise, to write an essay describing a color of my choice (I chose black 'cause then, as now, I was such a perverse bitch). It was certainly, to date, the most meaningful 2000 words I'd ever written....in which I learned coloration.

Clever teacher , that one.

Tripp Hudgins said...

Yes, ma'am. True enough. Every word is a symbol for layers of meaning...some you can predict. Some you cannot.

if you happen to be a billionaire...